The Civic, Holmfirth is an impressive venue lying in the heart of the Last of the Summer wine countryside and is an amalgamation of two buildings – Holmfirth Town Hall was built in 1842 at a cost of £2,200 and had various uses, including a Magistrates Court and welfare clinics.
Meanwhile the Drill Hall was built in 1891/92 at a cost of £1,700. Both buildings were purchased by the borough council in 1946 and were reopened as Holmfirth Civic Hall on 7th November 1947.
The venue is now used for a variety of activities including concerts and theatre performances, badminton and other fitness classes, family celebrations, exhibitions, conferences and meetings.
Holme Valley Parish Council acquired The Civic via community asset transfer in April 2017 and handed operation to a new charity, Holmfirth Civic Hall Community Trust, formed to run and manage the venue on a day to day basis.
The Trust’s vision is to make The Civic, Holmfirth an inclusive, cohesive and sustainable community asset – run in our community, by our community and for our community. The Trust will be responsible for growing the profile and the usage of the venue and investing any surpluses back into the building, its maintenance and upkeep, ensuring its viability as a community facility for the long term and making it the premier community venue in the Holme Valley.
The venue consists of two main halls, the Large Hall and the Lesser Hall, plus various other rooms to hire by community groups, individuals or businesses. The venue is licensed and suitable for a wide range of activities, special events or celebrations.
The Civic, Holmfirth has excellent disabled access and is located on the main Huddersfield Road approaching Holmfirth town centre, with good parking facilities nearby.